Friday, February 10, 2012

Tuned In

My husband's dad is really into antiques, specifically old radios. He loves to restore and get these old things to play again. He will search high and low for original parts for his antique radios. He'll spend hours repairing and maintaining them so the sound is as good as possible. He coaxes beautiful music from these ornate boxes that my children think are ancient history.

I've been thinking about this for a while. Just as my father-in-law knows exactly where his favorite radio station is and how to coax the signal until the static fades, God desires my heart to be so in tune with His voice that I hear Him through the static of my daily noise.

How easy it is to go about my day with all the chaos of a house that I am not listening to God's voice as He speaks.

How easily I get caught up in the other voices that I miss out on hearing His words for me. Many times, I expect Him to speak on my terms...

only when it is easy for me to listen...
first thing in the morning during my designated time...
on my walk or a solitary drive...
when the house is quiet...
when the children are all getting along...
when husband's tummy is full and the dinner dishes are all done...

Yet, I find that I miss His voice. Because I am listening only when I deem it easy to listen.

He speaks.... especially through the chaotic daily chores, during the stormy afternoons, beside the whimpering sickly child's bed, above the temperamental teenager's attitude, and against the tide of popular opinion. He speaks.

Am I truly tuned in when and how He speaks?

3 comments:

  1. I, too am guilty of listening when it's convenient for me. The problem is...when it's convenient for me...I am USUALLY well past needing to hear! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true, Dana! Thanks for the honesty... You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog post shows that Dana u like your husband's father very much and wow it's very nice thing to give him respect by write about him on your blog post.

    ReplyDelete