Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Attitudy Judy

My husband always cracks me up when he sees someone with an attitude... Yep, they're an "Attitudy Judy." Just a couple days ago, I overheard a couple of Stay At Home Moms discussing the troubles of potty-training, laundry, housework, and the lists goes on and on.... Yep, a couple of "Attitudy Judys." They had not one nice thing to say about their kids, their husbands, or their roles in life as stay-at-home-moms.

I felt like butting in and telling them how they sounded, but realized that I, too, at times have been an "Attitudy Judy" about my role as a stay-at-home-mom. Caring for pint-sized little ones 24/7 is exhausting work. Messy closets, dirty bathroom floors, and barf-covered sheets don't clean themselves. Laundry and dishes are never ending chores. Carpets are always in need of vacuuming, and the dust bunnies are constantly chasing each other around the picture frames. Adult conversations are few and far between. The hours are grueling and there are no pay-raises or promotions available. When I finally sit down at night, I realize, "I get to do this all over again, tomorrow!"

Our society doesn't affirm our role, compliment our choices, or encourage our decisions. When we look to the society around us to validate us, we miss out on the real stamp of approval. God always approves of selfless sacrifices. His approval is the only one that matters.

When I find myself becoming an "Attitudy Judy," I am reminded that my attitude is determined by my choices. I choose whether or not I am going to be content in my circumstances. My attitude toward my circumstances determines my perspective. That perspective doesn't necessarily change my circumstances, BUT changing my perspective will always change my life!

1 comment:

  1. I was an attitudy Judy recently...she's not very fun to be around!!! I missed the study this morning. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete