Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Transplanting Process Allows Growth

For some varieties, dividing and transplanting is necessary for the health of the plant. Parenting through the teenage years feels this way to me. I know that dividing and transplanting our young "plant" is necessary and will help him grow. However, anybody with teenagers can agree with me when I say that "dividing and transplanting" isn't an easy task.

Last night my gracious husband and I sat down to converse with our young man. Our oldest son is almost sixteen. In some cultures, he would be considered a man. By the standard set by most of the young people in our society, he is definitely a teenager that I can be proud of.

Obviously as teenagers become more independant and make more decisions on their own, there's going to be some discomfort in the home. This means that my "mommy side" doesn't want to see my guy grow up. When he makes mistakes, "a-bandaid-will-fix-anything" doesn't work anymore. "He'll always be my little boy" isn't as cute as it used to be either. He grew out of lullabies and bedtime prayers a long time ago. He's grown into the responsible young man that helps around the house because he sees the need to make our home run smoothly. Since he wants to use his time wisely, he stops in and speaks with the manager of a store to ask for an employment application. He welcomes opportunities to reach out and make a positive influence on his peers. He is unashamed of what he believes. He has apparently been listening and learning as we have poured our lives into him.

Although right now, I am feeling the effects of his independance, I know that he'll be alright. I am under no illusion that any of us are perfect or that we always respond the right way under pressure. But I am thankful for a level-headed husband and a respectful young man to make this transplanting process a healthy one.

How awesome that we can all three ~ Dad, Mom, and Teen ~ still sit down and talk life out. Good communication helps our family thrive even through the teenager years. This process of transplanting the young plant really will allow for growth in the years to come.

1 comment:

  1. Communication is the key, isn't it:) Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete