Thursday, October 21, 2010

Star-Struck

The lyrics keep going over and over in my head. "Who am I that You are mindful of me? That You hear me when I call?"

On our camping trip last weekend, one of the guys in our group brought out a telescope. Now, our family loves to lie on the trampoline and gaze at the stars. We love to howl like the coyotes ~ for yes, we do have coyote packs that roam our neck of the woods. We giggle and giggle so much over the silliest things. Most of the time only a few of us actually see the falling stars because the littlest kiddos are wiggling too much. We have some rousing family fun outside at night star-gazing. We get out our telescopes and binoculars and talk of the constellations and gallaxies so far out into space. But we don't have any of the high-tech equipment to REALLY star gaze.

But... this telescope was different. It so very powerful that we could see Jupiter and two of her moons! I was truly star-struck. I am without words to describe the intensity of delight that I got out of seeing so clearly. To observe the colors and vibrancy of the planet that I couldn't see before with my naked eyes. What a thrill to experience.

A Psalm of the God-worshiper, David, says that God sees me in just that same way. He has known me since before I was born. He knows when I am sitting down or standing up. He understands my thoughts. He is aquainted with all my ways. He knows my shortcomings and my strengths. God formed me to be unique and special just for Him. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. God, the one who created all the stars and sands in the oceans, everything imaginable, has precious thoughts toward me! Such knowledge is truly too wonderful for me. It is too high, I cannot attain it. (Ps. 139)

I am special enough that God is star-struck over little ole' me! Wow. He is good. How can I not praise Him!

2 comments: