Thursday, January 20, 2011

Touches of Beauty


Though it has been some time since I have posted my thoughts, I have still been living. Most of my inward musings have simply been ones of the heart. Hidden life still flows in my garden.

Reminds me of the season of winter. Days are short and nights are longer. Cold invades everywhere. Trees branches are bare. Grasses are withered. Everything appears to be dead. Even the birds and wildlife are hidden away waiting for spring. The reality, though, is that beauty is still alive. Life still exists. It is just waiting until spring when it shows itself in full color again.

I find solice in the wintertime in the hints of beauty in the crisp cool air. The fresh snowfall, peaceful in the morning light. The icicles reflecting the sun. The holly berries and pine cones bring cheery color to an otherwise dull world. The bright wings of a blue jay swooping down from the tree tops catch my attention more readily than in the summer greens. Touches of beauty are everywhere.

Staring dreamily out the breakfast room window, my sweet boy commented that he could see the trees turning green again. Not wanting to dash his hopes, I said nothing. The buds of spring will not appear for a while yet. No, the trees remain silent. Not even murmuring their whispers of life's secrets. But they will sing again. They will open up their hearts to us once again and join together in a harmony of joyful strains. The melodies of spring will burst forth ~ all in good time. For now, the composition is still being written.

Until then, we will also wait. We turn our focus inward, to the things of the heart. We build up strength, strength of character, of mission. We set our goals and determine our plans. In the darker quieter seasons, we must realize that life and beauty still exist and take delight in searching for those touches of beauty. What peace we can find when we take the seasons of life as God has intended.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written, Dana! Winter is a great time to reflect, store up and rest for the coming Spring...when life is brimming with activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie. Though I don't especially like the blandness of winter seasons of life, I know that there is a solidifying and strengthening going on. Busy spring seasons are on their way! :) Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete